The existing Grade II* listed building has been the home to The North of England Institute of Mining and Mechanical Engineers (NEIMME) since 1852 and houses a collection of over 30,000 volumes of books and tens of thousands of research papers and over 40,000 plans of seam maps, colliery plans, estate maps and geological surveys covering the period from 1750. Spaces within the building include its Victorian Library, the Edwardian Lecture Theatre and the Arbitration Room, where mine owners and workers would meet to settle disputes over working conditions.
Within the confines of the listed building status of Wood Memorial Hall and Neville Hall, we undertook a major restoration of the exterior and interior spaces including the stairwell and provision of new mechanical & electrical services, servicing areas, vertical and horizontal access throughout the building. Further works included structural remedial works, new kitchen and bar facilities as well as the formation of a new accessible entrance way. External works included the restoration of stonework, doors and windows. As well as works to the decorative finials, chimneys and repair of the slated and glazed roofs.